Visa4UK - our online system for visa applications
This section contains information to help you apply online for a UK visa.
Please read carefully all the information on this page.
Our online visa application system is called Visa4UK. In most countries worldwide, you can use it to apply for a UK visa over a secure internet connection. In many countries, you can also pay your application fee and book an appointment at a visa application centre using Visa4UK. The Where can you apply online? page explains which services are available online in your country.
After you have submitted your online application, you must attend a visa application centre. Please use our Country finder for details of the full application process in your country, and the application fee for your category of visa.
You must not use Visa4UK if you are already in the UK and you want to extend your stay, switch into another immigration category or settle here permanently. The Visas and immigration section of this website explains how you can apply.
Making your application
Visa4UK guides you through the application process. It will ask you to provide the same information that is required on our paper visa application forms (which are now not available in most countries).
When you apply, please have the following information ready:
- your passport
- your address in the UK
- your travel itinerary
- a valid email address, for security reasons - we will contact you at this address regarding your online application.
You will also need to print your completed online form using a 'high quality' print setting. You can do this at a later date, if this is more convenient.
Many pages of the form will give you the opportunity to save your visa application. Please ensure that you save your application often while you are completing it.
To start your application, go to the main Visa4UK page.
By logging into Visa4UK on the Existing applications login page to access:
- saved but incomplete applications;
- applications completed and submitted in the previous 7 days; and
- our 'e-Appointments' calendar.
Guidance and troubleshooting
The following pages answer some common questions about the online application, booking and payment processes:
- Applying for a visa using Visa4UK
- Booking an appointment using Visa4UK
- Online payments using Visa4UK
If you are experiencing a technical problem with Visa4UK, please read these pages first.
If you want to ask a question about applying or information about the type of visa you require, please contact your nearest visa application centre. You can find our visa application centres using our Country finder.
If you have a technical problem with Visa4UK, for example, if you cannot access the website or a website link is broken , you can report it using our Technical enquiries and feedback online form. You cannot use this form for non-technical enquiries.
- Is submitting an online application safe? Our online application system is safe and secure. The information that you provide is sent through a coded secure connection and is only accessible to authorised UK Border Agency staff.
Can you access Visa4UK using your computer?
We do our best to support as many computers, operating systems and internet browsers as possible. are Visa4UK is accessible through all major browsers, but some browsers are excluded because of their age or design. For the best user experience, we recommend that you use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox.
For more information, see the Browser support page.
If your internet connection is slow, this is likely to be cased by a problem with your local internet service. If there is a technical problem with Visa4UK, we will publish a news story.
- Can you use Visa4UK to apply for a visa for a country outside the UK? Yes. Many visa application centres accept visa applications for the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, British overseas territories and other Commonwealth countries. Use the Country finder to find out whether visa application centres in your country will accept these applications.